If you have been arrested for DWI in Texas, chances are that your Driver’s License was confiscated before you were released from jail. In that case, you should also have been given several other pieces of paperwork, including a form called the DIC-25.

The DIC-25 is titled “Notice of Suspension” and “Temporary Driving Permit”. Your license is not immediately suspended, as many folks think. Instead this piece of paper serves as your temporary driver’s license. (In Austin DWI cases, the forms are usually yellow.)

About halfway down the page, in a box is some text:

If your Texas driver license was confiscated, this document will serve as your temporary dirving permit. It is subject to the same restrictions and endorsements as your Texas driver license. If you hold a commercial driver license, this permit authorizes the operation of commercial motor vehicles. This permit does not provide you with any driving privileges if you do not have a Texas driver license or if your Texas driver license is expired, suspended, revoked, cancelled, or disqualified. This permit is valid for 40 days from the date of service shown below. If you request a hearing, this permit will remain in effect until the administrative law judge makes a final decision in your case.

So this form is a substitute for your Texas DL. But I usually advise clients to run down to DPS and apply for a Texas ID card. It looks virtually identical to a DL, and you don’t want to wait until you need to get on an airplane to figure out that picture ID’s are useful.

Also, it’s common for folks to ask me whether this permit is good beyond the 40 days. The answer is in two parts:

(a) No, it is only good for 40 days, if you did not request a hearing to contest the suspension within 15 days of the arrest.

(b) If you requested a hearing, then, as the text says “the permit will remain in effect until the administrative law judge makes a final decision” in the ALR hearing. If you hired a DWI lawyer within the time limit, they will usually do this for you. (Although, you should probably ask.)