SCRAM Bracelets, Money, and Big Brother

From the Joliet Herald News, “SCRAM Bracelet Saves More Than Money”:

David Talarico's business features a high-tech bracelet that has the potential to save tax dollars and -- more importantly -- lives.

The devices, called SCRAM (Secure Continuous Remote Alcohol Monitor), detect alcohol use. The bracelets are worn on the ankle by people who have abused alcohol and are in trouble with the law. Instead of going to jail, offenders wear SCRAM bracelets that monitor their bodies for alcohol 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

OK. So that’s what the SCRAM bracelet is, and yes, it is being used in Austin as well as Illinois.

For folks released on bond for a DWI 2nd offense or higher that are required by statute to install an Ignition Interlock Device, SCRAM sometimes makes sense. It allows them access to many vehicles, instead of just one, and still fulfills the requirement that ‘some machine is making sure they didn’t consume alcohol’ before starting a car. Some folks can’t be tied down to just one vehicle.

However, it is definitely more not less expensive than an Ignition Interlock. [Posting on a Sunday night; I’ll try to get some exact figures on that soon.]

The article continues:

Though some may think the bracelets are intrusive, Talarico, president of Alcohol Monitors of Illinois Inc., thinks they're the wave of the future.

"People call this 'Big Brother,' but the reality is, these are for the people who need a big brother to help them along," he said. "Clearly if somebody can't stay sober on their own, they'll have to go to jail."

The first paragraph sets up a false dichotomy between something being “intrusive” vs. “being the wave of the future”.

And I just want to be clear on this: Talarico, based on your quote, you are at least admitting that it is Big Brother. Right? It’s just that Big Brother is or can be a good thing – that’s your point.

The article ends with an interesting quote from Talarico. I’m just going to quote it, and not comment. It’s one of those “no comment necessary” situations:

He believes the SCRAM bracelet is an important weapon to fight alcohol abuse.

Being in this business, you see both sides of it," he said. "I see SCRAM almost like the war on terror. You never know what you're preventing, but if you believe in what you're doing you know you're doing good."

OK, I said I wouldn’t comment, but I’ve got an overwhelming urge to repeat that last line:

Comments (76)Subscribe to Comments on this Entry Read through and enter the discussion with the form at the end
dui lawyer san diego - April 25, 2008 8:57 AM

I don't know if this is going to work. It's like house arrest.

dwi accused - April 30, 2008 10:58 PM

I was forced to wear the SCRAM bracelet in addition to having ignition interlock in Travis Co. after being arrested for a second DWI while being on probation for the first. It costs about $75 to be put on and $12 per day to wear it. I felt it had many flaws. It left me with a horrible rash which is still visible on my calf despite having it removed about 6 months ago. The woman who installed it said it was common to have irritation. It also left my ankle on that foot very bruised to the point that it was extremely painful to walk. Then, I was brought into court due to having a positive response, although it had been at least 4 months since I had consumed any alcohol. The judge had attended a conference on SCRAM in which she learned false positives were very common, so she gave me the benefit of the doubt. However, I was working in a restaurant that had cameras the entire time my alcohol report had spiked, so I could prove I was sober. I was still forced to quit my job which left me with no way to pay the almost $400 per month fee. So I understand it is a deterrent to drinking, but I believe it is cruel and unusual punishment.

a person that cares - May 19, 2008 7:44 PM

i had this on 4 almost 3 weeks. i am allergic to any types of metal on bare skin. i have half dollar scabs on each side of my left ankle. the brainacts at scram put a scram 2 on my rightankle. same thing happened. i went to my doc. today. he wants it off now. due to infection and possibe blood and bone infection.if that happens its 6 to 6 months of a i. v. to stop the infection. no 1 told me about that! it might be rare but it does happen. no 1 at scram gives a shit. they will when they get served with a lawsuit. again, freedom of speech. i am a first time offender. in the state of il. no tickets in 21 yrs. 4 them to slap this thing on is so wrong. dont get me wrong people on 2 nd or third or more should get what they deserve. . but who is paying off who????????

Joseph - June 7, 2008 5:04 AM

I wore one in 2005 for 8 months. Due to 3 false-positives and one that led to a conviction because I lacked witnesses I started an intense study to find why I lost $14,000 for an offense that did not occur and blogged it. I found that AMS's testing could have "proved my innocence" for it shows that saran wrap, a black trash bag, cardboard and a sock all failed to mask a drinking episode, the read was muted but still a positive. So many Constitutional violations including the Right to Bodily Integrity, I too had the abrasions (pictures available)that are now permanent scars.

LINA - June 10, 2008 4:11 PM

I also am wearing the SCRAM moniter.. I am a first time offender and this thing is aweful I try to clean the area and completly dry it its impossible and it stinks like crap!!!!!!! GA !!!

lester - August 18, 2008 7:24 PM

I find it ironic that this is a blog on a DUI attorney's website, and he won't help fight this thing. I am not a lawyer, however I am collecting people's stories of their false positives and intend to sue AMS. If you will, please forward your issues with scram to fightscraminjustice@gmail.com. Join in the fight. I already have several documentations. It's one thing to punish the begavior, but to do so with technology that is questionable and a court system that is sleeping is absolutely abhorrent.

Jamie - August 18, 2008 10:04 PM

Lester:

Thanks for stopping by, but I'm not sure why you label me as an attorney that won't fight SCRAM.

In fact, I have a case right now - a probation revocation - where I am doing just that...

Jamie

Brian - September 24, 2008 8:58 PM

I'm curious how you are coming along with this? I was put on it 3 weeks ago after I was released after doing almost 7 months of jail on a DUI, The Appelate Court ordered me to be released on appeal with a ROR bond and the Court Of Common Please (Lower Court) judge seems he is above and beyond them and over-rided my bond and ordered me to wear the scram and report to probation every week. Here is my concern how can that seem fair, I got out on appeal and have to pay $15 a day to wear this, when that judge was wrong in my trial and tainted the jury and he's pissed. Anyway, I have already had 2 false positives, and haven't drank yet, I went straight to probation and got tested when they called and they released me, and said it must've been something in the air.....!!!!!! Something in the air, thats complete crap, this thing is gonna put ALOT of innocent people in jail with these false positives and if they can't prove it. A complete constituitional violation if you ask me. I'm just curious what you have come up with so far.

Mitchell - October 1, 2008 5:53 PM

I have the scram on my ankle now for 2 and a half months. The battery has already had to be changed twice, it gave two false reading which I can prove and now they called saying that I must come in because the bracelet is defective and I need a new one. What is going on, Iam paying $10 a day for something that is not working. Help. Peter 727-808-6390

Mitchell - October 1, 2008 5:54 PM

Justin - October 3, 2008 9:01 AM

I am being charged with a 3rd offense dui and part of my bond was to wear a scram ankle monitor and not to drive. Its costing $420.00 per month which is crazy with todays economy issues. So far I haven't seen where they order both but maybe there are cases. The scram has been on me for a little more than 3 weeks and has caused major irritation, gave 3 tampering reading that were false and has had the battery go dead twice and they think that I am causing it. What they don't tell you is that if you work in a job that your moving alot its easy to hit the scram which leads to severe pain and a bruised bone. They also tell you to thoroughly clean and dry underneath after you shower. Thats impossible without causing it to give a tampering reading. I am curious how my leg will look when it is taken off. I have read alot on the internet about the scram and I don't really know what to think about the accuracy of the device. I am not worried because I am not drinking or anything but if it gives false readings and causes problems like this, isn't it a bit too unreliable just to throw on people and depend on?

Kim - October 8, 2008 6:58 PM

I have had the scram on for 3 months. One week after having it put on they said I had a confirmed consumption. This is wrong. I have not had anything to drink. I was never given any information on what could set this thing off. I am facing prison time for something I did not do. Probation didn't even inform me about this until it was to late to do an 80 hr UA. Any help on how to prove this would be appreciated.

Cara - October 20, 2008 10:24 AM

I have had this scram bracelet on for about 2 months now, after pleading not guilty at my araignment. It is my second, my first was over 4 years ago. My court date is coming up, in 2 weeks, and i'm hoping that this bracelet will be removed at that time. I did not blow when asked, so i'm wondering how they can put this alcohol monitoring system on me when my case hasn't even been decided yet. Like pretty much every one else, I have bruising on my ankles and I just got this raised mark on my leg right where the bracelet sits which is extremely painful. I go running every day too, and this thing is preventing me from staying in shape and healthy because it's too painful now to even get on the treadmill or do any sort of cardio for that matter. I also haven't slept for more than 4 hours at once since thing has been put on...there's got to be a way to fight this thing!!

Ray - December 4, 2008 8:15 AM

I was a director for a southern state for the SCRAM bracelet. Contact me for info and some surprising facts about this device. There are other less invasive and much, much less expensive models other than SCRAM out there. Write me or call me at 919-593-7684. There are more than one way to skin a cat.

Matt - December 5, 2008 9:22 PM

HELP!!! I have been wearing a scram since Aug. without incodent and have not drank anything since april of 08. I am from a very strict non drinking family and was told today from my PO that I had a reading of positive on Thanksgiving day starting at 3:00pm and tapering down till 9:00 that night, I washed my truck that day around 1:30 and ate thanksgiving at my mothers house surrounded by family and played X box and ate pie until bed time. My question is what can cause these things to read positive? Could it be food, I don't expect the PO will take familys word as a witness but there were 12 people all not drinking and eating a lot all day until around 10 or 11 that night.

Sheila - January 16, 2009 10:40 PM

My husband has been on scram for about 3 months now and hasn't experienced any problems yet (knock on wood)...we got another month and a half to go. However tonight he used some icy hot and we later learned it had an inactive ingredient of stearyl alcohol in it and both are now freaking out because if this shows as a reading of consumption he's going to prison...anyone know if it will or how we would be able to fight it if it does? Thanks!

notorious - February 26, 2009 12:58 PM

i do agee the braclet is a joke ive been wearing one for three months now and 4 one of them months they made me wear it while i was incarcerated n let me tell ya that was horrible ....and i dont see y u cant drink alcohol is legal if ur over 21 the main problem is getting in a car and drinkin ...

Clarke R. Marquis - April 11, 2009 10:52 AM

Today, April 11, 2009, I sent the following request to Alcohol Monitoring Systems, Inc. through the "contact us" page on their web site (http://www.alcoholmonitoring.com/index/about/contact-us):

"My son , of Yorkville, Illinois was recently fitted with a monitoring device. On I believe four occasions, he registered alcohol readings, one of these readings has resulted in pending probation violation proceedings.

Based on a SCRAM report that we have not been permitted to see, the Kane County, Illinois State's Attorney claims that the my son unlawfully consumed alcohol/had alcohol in his body from 5:05 PM on February 28, 2009 until 4:55 AM on March 1st. I as well as several other people could competently testify that they were with my son either for the entire time or for a substantial portion of the evening and at no time did he consume alcohol.

The following is a partial list of individuals who were with my son during the listed time periods and would testify that the only liquid he consumed during the time they were with him was bottled water. They would further testify that he did not exhibit any mannerisms of a person who had consumed alcohol and did not smell of alcohol:

N was with the Defendant from approximately 1:00 PM until approximately 2:30 AM
J was with the Defendant from approximately 1:00 PM until approximately 5:00 PM
C was with the Defendant from approximately 6:00 PM until approximately 1:30 AM
M was with the Defendant from approximately 6:00 PM until approximately 1:30 AM
C was with the Defendant from approximately 7:00 PM until approximately 12:30 AM
R was with the Defendant from approximately 7:00 PM until approximately 12:30 AM
M was with the Defendant from approximately 7:00 PM until approximately 1:30 AM
S was with the Defendant from approximately 7:00 PM until approximately 1:30 AM
M was with the Defendant from approximately 6:00 PM until approximately 1:30 AM

The reason there are so many individuals who can remember what my son was doing or not doing is because on February 28th all of us were attending a Gretchen Wilson/John Rich/Jeffrey Steele concert at Pheasant Run Resort in St. Charles, Illinois. Perhaps there were environmental reasons for the false positive; the device used to monitor my sons blood may be malfunctioning, or possibly the transmission or the reading by the technician were faulty. Regardless, my son DID NOT consume any alcohol between 5:05 and approximately 2:30. We can't attest to his abstinence after we all left him at about 2:30AM.

I would bet my life that he did not consume alcohol between 12 noon on the 28th to 2:30 AM on the 1st. There are probably 100s of known and twice as many unknown reasons why there would be a false positive read. I must establish which of these reasons apply to my sons case. I believe my son's life is at stake. If he is wrongly sentenced to prison I could never forgive myself if I failed to do everything in my power to exonerate him from the charges.

We can't afford expert witnesses, a top notch defense attorney or investigators who might establish the cause of the false positive reading. Hopefully in the interests of justice you will provide us with the information and technical information we could use to establish beyond doubt that he did not consume alcohol on the dates charged.

We look forward to hopefully receiving all of the available information with which we can establish what caused the false positive reading.

Thank you."

I will let you know what response if any I receive from SCRAM. In the interim, take a look at their web site and search their site for "false positive" :)

Adrie - April 27, 2009 1:51 AM

I have been wearing the scram anklet for a month already. I have court tomorrow and I hope they take it off. It is painful. I tried very hard to not mess with it when drying off after I shower and also when I sleep. I haven't consumed alcohol but Im a hairdresser and do work with chemicals at work that have alcohol ingredients and still set off the anklet. I receive phone calls from the scram people interogating me of where I was and what I was doing. I didnt care for that very much but since the lady was nice I didnt give her any attitude. Im also worried about my sentencing since I have set of the anklet with work issues. I have written down all chemicals I work with to take with me for my defense. Perfumes, mouthwash, lotions and "ladies" care products for skin might contain alcohol especially "toner" so read the labels. This might sound silly but I would not kiss my boyfriend if I knew he had been drinking. I didnt dare ask but I was playing it safe. I just want this to be over. This sucks and theres people out there with problems that are not being tended to. I just want to take care of this matter, find out how much this is going to "cost" me and to get on with my life. Im a straight A student at the University of Phoenix and happened to be pulled over because I looked suspicious. That was the funniest pickup line ever!!! lol I hate to say this but scram does work but they need to work on it. misreadings could delay or misjudge a person. maybe they need to redesign it. I hope the scram bracelet helps individuals in need. I drink on occasion but noticed in the past month that I didnt really need to so it wont be a issue for me in the future. Good luck to all with scram

Derek - June 1, 2009 12:15 PM

I was put on the SCRAM after receiving my second DWI only because I rolled my truck during the first one and didn't have a vehicle to have the breathalyzer installed. I don't mind it at all. I run anywhere from 3.2 - 5 miles per day and sometimes it slides down, but I just pull it up to tighten it and keep running. I also work in a lumber yard and I'm exposed to Ipe and Mesquite dust all day long. No rashes, nothing. I think everyone who complains about this are pussies. Again, this is why I'm hard and you're not. I have a huge bruise on the bottom of my ankle, but it doesn't bother me. That's like me complaining about my shoes because I have a blister, not because I have a blister from running over 25 miles a week. Sure, it'd be better not having it on, but we all did something to deserve it. And jail? Tell me who would really like to be in jail than have this on? I haven't had a misreading, and that's because I don't drink. Quit complaining everyone. I'm sure my ankle looks worse than most of yours, just let the extremity cry in pain rather than your voice.

sharon - June 7, 2009 6:43 PM

After my 3rd DUI arrest in May, I went to jail for the weekend and bailed myself out Sunday. I proactively put myself on SCRAM prior to appearing in front of a judge. Since it is not court ordered, I was told by the SCRAM guy that I can take it off anytime I want. I don't want to drink, but I wanted to wear a dress to my son's HS graduation so I pulled the strap loose and took off the bracelet and put it back on the next morning. Now it doesn't vibrate on the 1/2 anymore. I forced a download to the monitoring center. Did I disable it by "tampering"? Now what?

Brian - June 25, 2009 3:10 PM

I got sentinced to where the scram braclet for 5 years, yes years. I have a medical condition that causes ulcers on my feet and lower legs and the cream i was using to treat them had alcahol in it and it read a posative reading of .028 around midnight one night. I was with my gf and her mother that evening and they will testafy for me but i spent a month in jail and now have the scram as a condition of my bond. if i was going to drink on this bracelet it wouldnt be a .028 i would do it right. and this bracelet has caused large sores on my ancle that will not get better i had to switch ancls once because of this.

Teresa Foster - July 7, 2009 7:32 PM

My son-in-law has been in the scram and went to his monitor today where he was informed he had a positive reading of 2.0 he has not had anything but gatorade. He is worried about jail, losing his job and home for something he did not do. I saw him the whole weekend and he was not drinking. he called and said he might have figured it out tanning lotion it is full of alcahol. i hope his judge has read about this thing.

chuck - October 25, 2009 7:31 AM

i have had a scram device an for about 4 moonths now everything seems to be fine with it ,AMREADY FOR IT TO COME OFF,i pay 360 a monthit plus another 80 amonth forthe interlock in my truck i have had the scram replaced once and then later had the battery replaced too i guess its working fine whos to know, it doesnt tell if it is working properlyor nothing i could be paying all this money for a scam not scram

Heather - November 3, 2009 12:46 PM

So I have had this scram on for 4 months and on Halloween it went off. They claimed that I was drinking all night and I totally wasn't. They confronted me on this after 24 hours... I immediately went to the hospital to get a blood alcohol test. Came up 0. But now if I can't prove that I wasn't drinking I'm going to jail. What do I do?

Heather - November 3, 2009 12:46 PM

Gail - November 19, 2009 4:00 PM

I have hadthe bracelet on sine @ 9/1. I agreed to ear it as part of my divorce custody issue because I had a DUI. I have had four positive readings which are times when of course I was not drinking.
Once I used a transdermal pain patch which seems to hve been the cause. The next two times times were consecutive days. I had been cooking and a large bottle of vanilla broke at my feet getting all over the bracelet. I cleaned it but I probably did not get it all out. I believe it must have dried and when it got wet again the next day reregistered. Dosn't sound plausable but that'sthe only thing I can think caused it. I just got another alert on the 17th to the 18th. I've done some rsearch and this could have been caused by my mass consumption of candy the last three days. (I'm not fat, just on a Butter finger kick) Suger is converted into alcohol and this coul trigger the bracelet. Of course sram is going to say that these icidents could not be the reason.

I found a web site which published a report conducted by Pacific Insiture for Researc and Evaluation. It was publised 11/2007. In this report it concluded that Scram reported some false positives without actual outside interferants (unless I read wrong)

I stand to lose physical custody of my kids because of this. I also had readings on another day which I also had a urine test done. The Scram people compared their results to a time period totally unrelated to the time the urine was done. they still have not provided my with the detailed results so I can see what was registered if at all.

I also think that there should be some kind of "level" reading if there is a "confirmed event. If someone has ingested alcohol ie candy or food. The level of alcohol in other test determines the amount (legally intoxicated) I have to believe that the levels associated for drinking ar higher. If someone is not registering enough alsohol to be drunk this should not be a posative reading.

Just my thoughts. When people are looking at grave circumstances, Jail, custody, etc It should be proven that they are drinking as defined by DWI laws not just the presense of alcohol.

What does everyone think

andrew wray - December 21, 2009 6:01 PM

Anyone that has had their life wrecked by the SCRAM bracelet please contact me ASAP...anytime day or night...my name is Andrew Wray and my phone is 720.838.3857. We need your help to bring a class action lawsuit against the makers of SCRAM based out of Littleton, Co. I am in Denver, Co. Please help us put an end to SCRAM and put this company out of business. WE NEED YOUR HELP NOW.

James L. Clinehens - December 26, 2009 7:39 PM

This Scram braclet is going to wreck my life, I had a positive for tampering, from 1:00am to 9:30am, while I was asleep, I don't sleep with anyone, so I have no wittneses. The courts didn't tell me for 8 day's so I can't get a blood test. I need HELP from people that are willing to put their Name and E-mail Address on a testomoy that this thing give false tampering reports Send them to JLCSBIN47@aol.com Andrew your phone is disconnected

Naomi - January 22, 2010 8:20 PM

I received a summons today to appear in court next week. The papers did not even include what the appearance would be for. I have been on the Scram bracelet for 2 months now. This is the second time that I have been notified of violation of the bracelet. The 1st was just a failure to download. I just received a prerecorded phone call for that violation, "no biggy." Today when I called the court house to find out why I had to appear, I was informed it was a violation from Scram. I then called Scram. I asked what the violation was and when it occurred. She informed me that the violation was tampering. Then inferred that I had stuck something between the bracelet and my skin. I have a witness that know that I was not drinking. I know this does not matter because our judicial system fails all the time and has already convicted me of this DUI that I was innocent of. I have come to terms with the fact I was found guilty of the DUI. How am I supposed to come to terms with being violated for something that I did not do? My bracelet is often too tight or way too loose. I also suffer from the scratches and cuts caused by the bracelet. I am a 36 yr old female. I know that water weight and bloating are causing the scratches and cuts. I think it has also caused the tampering violation. The only way something was placed in between is if it happened while I was sleeping. I am in Indiana and have to appear on January 27, 2010. I would love any input anyone has.

Jamie - January 22, 2010 8:55 PM

Naomi, I answered your question in this post
. Hope that helps.

Naomi - February 10, 2010 12:51 PM

One for the record books! I went to court today for the tamper violation back on Jan. 13, 2010. The case was dismissed because there had been no further tamper readings. Here is the funny part, as I was leaving the court house, I stepped in a snow bank. I stomped my feet to shake the snow and I heard something hit the ground. It was the lid to the bracelet. I took the lid back into the courtroom. The judge asked if I forgot something because the case was dismissed. I then showed the judge and the prosecutor the lid that had fallen off and the bracelet that was now exposed, they laughed and said,"yeah, I guess hers is faulty." He told me to contact scram right away and made a note that any violation that occurred would be dismissed until the bracelet is replaced. I called scram and they have no violation occurring today. Isn't that funny. Just shows it can go both ways. I have pics if you would like to see. Maybe this would be helpful in future cases.

Joe - February 11, 2010 6:50 PM

this is my 2nd week wearin the bracelet. I called my agent yesterday so I can manually download. He informed me I have a low battery already. So I have an appt set up for fri(tomorrow morn). This afternoon I get a call from scram saying they need to 'inspect'' my bracelet. So I'm guessin this is bad. I have not consumed any alcohol. Evidently that got an alert from AMS. Wtf! This is bs and it's only my 2nd week!

sherree - February 17, 2010 8:48 PM

I was arrested for dui first offense 01-28-10...FHP stopped me for doing 67mph in a 45mph zone...thought he smelled alcohol coming from the vehicle..my son plays in a band and i sing with him..God saved me..couldn't find my money that night for a drink!!..had a few sips of a beer..It was freezing cold outside..was told to step out of the vehicle for the field sobriety test..asked if i had to wear my glasses i was wearing...responded with.."yes, to see"..was told to take them off and place them on the top of my head to do the heel to toe test...FHP was a jerk screaming at me the whole time!!..I guess it doesn't pay to be honest...a few sips of beer and a rx for darvocet...one pill taken hours before...landed me in jail!!..I am a wife of a State Correctional Officer,Mother of 3 adult children, and Grandmother to 4....my brother inlaw and son inlaw work at the jail...was shackled like an animal and appeared before the Judge...My Attorney/ex-husband was there to represent me...only to find out the Judge is the same Judge he ran against for Judgeship 12 yrs ago!!..I have never been arrested before...was ordered to wear the SCRAM after blowing 000 when arrested...Where is Justice??...I had no alcohol in my body!!...and have to be monitored 24/7 for alcohol??...It is a MONEY thing!!...$100 to install and $12 a day...to monitor me for something i did not commit??....My pre trial counselors actually laugh when i go in every week...i am allergic to nickel..and have been itching..they have recommended i get a letter from my MD stating i need to have the device removed..It was 2 wks 2 days ago i had it installed...What a joke!!..it stopped working Sunday..I called Monday..no one called me back because it was a holdiay..i called again on Tuesday to be told..yeah...i see it is not working..guess the battery is dead...you can come in tomorrow to have it checked...I went in the same day!!..i didn't want to give them any reason to think i was tampering with the thing..the guy said...I thought you were coming tomorrow...like i was inconviencing him or something..i told him i wanted to see my report...he checked and it had shown positive readings on 6 different days already!!...and at times when i was at work..i work in a Dental office and all i can figure it is the air i breathe??..People...this is an absolute joke!!...My Attorney filed a motion to have it removed at our first hearing..and the Judge stated..."I'll..take it under advisement"...Well..the only advisement he took was to not review it at all!!...I maintain the Court system we have sucks...and is clearly all about MONEY...NOT JUSTICE...It is a shame that this device is not accurate...and DOES give false positives...It is amazing how much alcohol is in everything we use..from lotion to hair dyes...and i am sure a device of this nature could help a TRUE alcoholic...but to be punished for a crime not commited...I thought we were supposed to be tried then punished when guilty...Where is justice???...thanks for listening...I am outraged with our legal system...

josh in nm - March 15, 2010 6:30 PM

I have now been on scram for three weeks and recieved a tampering warning today from the cottonwood clinic. The tampering is from the 10th. I haven't tampered with the monitor at all. I had a down load on the 11th and heard nothing until today. The tampering was from 5am to 5pm. I don't wake up till 5:30am and was at work all day doing inventory with my supervisor most of the day. The company cottonwood is the only place that offers this service here in the four corners. This is just another bs monopoly the government gets away with. I get this for 5 more months, and it's already not looking good as far as the quality of this low bid China made device. Good luck everyone except Derek. Go do some more laps puss

Stacie - May 13, 2010 4:48 PM

State of Oklahoma - Tulsa- My name is Stacie Nelson and I just received a "tampering" violation..for Mother's Day that just passed. I went IMMEDIATLY to get a urine test and it tested negative for alcohol. I have been sober for 2 years! I still had to go to court today to answer to the tampering accusation. The judge is making me either hire an attorney which I cannot afford or apply for a public defender. It sounds like I am being railroaded here for no reason. I have done everything right, paid my fees and fines. I have 2 DUI's not a murder charge. I am at risk right now of going to jail and I have 2 special needs children, one is Autistic and the other has a serious seizure disorder. Please help!! What could cause a "false" tamper reading? I need some help. I have no idea what caused it from 3pm to 3am. I also sleep alone, I showered in between these hours, changed clothes..and went to sleep at 10 pm that night and was sleeping from 10-3am...now they know there was no alcohol involved so what would be my motive? It is to my benefit to NOT TAMPER with it. Im confused and I am getting sick from this.

Thanks for any help you can give me,

Josh in nm - May 13, 2010 9:34 PM

I also just got a tamper on mothers day from about the same times. This is my second tamper and I have not been drinking or tampering with this dumb thing. The only thing I do know is this crap does not work. I have no clus how some crap like this can affect peoples freedom. China made device helping Americas financial problem by paying a lot of money for something that doesn't work. Where is all the freedom fighters now? Any real lawyers left out there?

Rob - June 9, 2010 12:24 PM

Hummmm nobody likes the scram I guess you should have thought about it BEFORE you did something to deserve to have to wear it. Don't feel sorry for any of you.Sounds like alot of drunks bitching about getting caught.Glad you aren't drinking and driving for now I feel better.

Lisa, St. Louis - June 29, 2010 7:32 PM

I've had SCAM on my ankle for 3wks now. My second payment of over 300$ is due on the first of July. I'm thinking of going into the PO's office and saying I can't afford it, please remove it. It is a condition of my bond. What will happen? My atty says that they'll remove it and notify the judges. I'm wondering if they'll cart me off to jail right then, or issue a warrant. Any thoughts?

scramartist - July 20, 2010 2:33 PM

Stacie,
You are a horrible liar

Daisi - August 20, 2010 10:24 PM

I have been wearing the SCRAM device for 3 weeks now and it is too damn expensive.I have not been convicted yet, and I feel as though it is unfair to have to wear it before they have even proven you guilty. America us fucked up.

jane dunningham - August 25, 2010 3:48 PM

does anyone know what the conclusion would be if i already had alcohol in my system at the time they strapped the scram bracelet on me? i do know it read a .039 ten minutes after it was put on. from looking at some of the graphs would the line start at .039 or start at .00 and gradually go up and then back down? or would it shoot up as if it wasn't truely alcohol? i was told it didn't registar as an alert so would the ams still report it to my p.o.?

monika - September 14, 2010 12:16 PM
lori - September 16, 2010 10:31 PM

I just received my 1st DWI at 48 yrs of age. I will wear the scram bracelt for 10 days but I am scared to crap after reading your posts. I have 3 kids, worked at the same job for 27 yrs and have two grand children. I am not a loser! The system goes beyond punishment which I deserve for the decision I made to drive (my husband could not drive after a St Patty Day event & so I deceided to drive his truck for him. Bad Decision! Stopped at a stop sign for 30 seconds & a police officer thought he needed to "check" on my welfare. Anyway, the bracelet is going on Sept 20, 2010 - no big deal but the false positives are scary. Alot of personal care products have alcohol & so I am scared to breathe!

angie - September 23, 2010 2:42 PM

Dallas Tx. i have had this bracelet on for 5 weeks. I hate the money i pay out on it. It is $364 a month here.i was placed on probation for dwi. went to court took my fingerprints and everything. then, the next week im called back to court to place this scram bracelet on. i was place on probation august 4 and never met my p.o. this is a money making system is all it is... someone is getting filthy rich off our torture. anyway, just read the products you use. dont use any with alcohol. im confused with the false readings. i havent had a phone call from anyone, so i guess im good. God bless everyone on scram!

Jennifer - September 25, 2010 12:21 PM

I just got my 2nd DUI in Illinois in a little over 3 yrs.7 days ago while parked in front of my apt. They said the recieved an anonymous tip and that they had to locate my car. I don't know how much time lapsed between the phone call and them "locating" my car. I admitted that had some alcohol and pain mediation (I'm not working due to injury at work). I did blow and blew a .13 which I suffer from ashthma and had used my inhaler which can cause an increased reading. I have been told that I am now looking at a 5 yr revoction of my DL and having to wear this device for 18 months. I have been in recovery for almost a yr and relapsed friday night. I was with members from AA (as I made many calls because I was upset that I relapsed) and talked to them. I am an RN who was going to school to get my Certification as an Addiction Counselor as that was my favorite area in nursing school and I wanted to help others that I could relate to. I am also a mother of 3, which I have had a long talk with about the stupidity of my actions. I'm not a dumb person just dumb friday night for being parked in a running car at home. Now after reading all these false positives and tampering issues Im scared to death of this thing plus the cost. I make $1800 a month and my xhusband gets over $1000 of that for child support, which I custody to him due to my "issues" with alcohol. I currently work as a bartender so I will definately have false positives. I never drink at work and all the regulars know that I am in recovery and going to school to be an addiction counselor. Am I going to have to quit my job now and do they offer a sliding scale fee for this thing? I was actually going to volunteer for this thing but I'm not so sure now. Please help!!!!

C.A. Nendze - October 1, 2010 10:20 AM

This info is for JENNIFER september 25 2010, Hope this helps some. CAD.

(730 ILCS 5/5-6-4) (from Ch. 38, par. 1005-6-4)

(d) Probation, conditional discharge, periodic imprisonment and supervision shall not be revoked for failure to comply with conditions of a sentence or supervision, which imposes financial obligations upon the offender unless such failure is due to his willful refusal to pay.

(f) The conditions of probation, of conditional discharge, of supervision, or of a sentence of county impact incarceration may be modified by the court on motion of the supervising agency or on its own motion or at the request of the offender after notice and a hearing.
(730 ILCS 5/5-6-3) (from Ch. 38, par. 1005-6-3)
(g) An offender sentenced to probation or to conditional discharge and who during the term of either undergoes mandatory drug or alcohol testing, or both, or is assigned to be placed on an approved electronic monitoring device, shall be ordered to pay all costs incidental to such mandatory drug or alcohol testing, or both, and all costs incidental to such approved electronic monitoring in accordance with the defendant's ability to pay those costs. The county board with the concurrence of the Chief Judge of the judicial circuit in which the county is located shall establish reasonable fees for the cost of maintenance, testing, and incidental expenses related to the mandatory drug or alcohol testing, or both, and all costs incidental to approved electronic monitoring, involved in a successful probation program for the county. The concurrence of the Chief Judge shall be in the form of an administrative order. The fees shall be collected by the clerk of the circuit court. The clerk of the circuit court shall pay all moneys collected from these fees to the county treasurer who shall use the moneys collected to defray the costs of drug testing, alcohol testing, and electronic monitoring. The county treasurer shall deposit the fees collected in the county working cash fund under Section 6-27001 or Section 6-29002 of the Counties Code, as the case may be.

J Mueller - October 12, 2010 3:31 AM

3 years ago I was arrested for a 2nd offense DWI in Austin, Tx Travis County. After positive readings on my interlock (first one after 2 years) I was put on SCRAM for 90 days on July 15th 2010. The device has worked properly I would say for the beginning of that time. I work as a mechanic and they did have to call me at one point to verify some brake parts cleaner that got near it. HOWEVER, on Sept 7th they claim I started drinking with BACs of .020-.033 over a period of 3 and a half hours. What is interesting about this, is that during that time I was driving my truck from Rockwall to dinner in Dallas, Tx near Addison. I also had to drive back from dinner as well. Even though my breathalyzer records PROVE that I was in fact blowing .000 the entire time period SCRAM put a warrant out for my arrest. I had desperately gone through my mind trying to think and rethink of anything that could have happened to set it off. At one point I was so paranoid over it that I thought I might have actually blacked out drank 3 beers and forgot about it that night... Crazy and not possible. This has brought me down to the point of a mental breakdown. I did not drink that night. I had witnesses. The waitress remembers me and we talked about my SCRAM anklet. The entire thing is crazy. I later came to found out that a cheap inhaler I use for asthma Proventil HFA contains ethanol in the ingredients list. 10/12/2010 Was my court date just hours ago. The warrant was retracted by the judge due to the obvious discrepancies in the readings. Even after contacting AMS directly and speaking with the supervisor of my area Samantha she acted like my inhaler was on some kind of a list. HOWEVER, in court, they tell the PO and officers that the albuterol in the inhalers can't possibly set it off. The judge asks, we are not debating that fact, what about the ethanol content in the device, have they addressed that issue? ... NO. ABSOLUTELY AMAZING!! They went to court to "CONFIRM MY CONSUMPTION" completely ignoring the major fact that we were pointing out. SCRAM and AMS would rather see me in jail for something I didn't do than to accept that they made a mistake or that it POSSIBLY had an issue with the inhaler. I even told their employee Maggie Lucas about the different medications and inhalers I was on and was almost completely blown off. This company is reckless and dangerous. I made a mistake 3 years ago and I deserve my punishment. However, to pay for SCRAM I had to give up my house and move into my shop at work (garage with no shower) in order to stay out of jail. Only to find out I am getting accused of drinking when I in fact haven't had anything to drink in about a year before the SCRAM monitor in the first place. The original readings that caused me to have the SCRAM could have had some legitimacy because on occasion I did possibly drink with dinner (over a year ago) but was very careful about going anywhere near that car even at .001. It's well known now by myself that this one inhaler I have can also elevate BAC levels... GOD I wish I was told about this and I could have switched to Ventolin and prevented this ENTIRE mess. I am not justifying drinking and driving, it is wrong. However, what these SCRAM people are doing is by far worse. This technology is not ready to be used. They talk about this high accuracy rate but they are not testing this on regular people. They are messing with people that are in the lowest of low places to defend themselves. Yeah, I hope they do have a low error rate if your protecting your mistakes and standing behind the ignorance of untested technology that is defended in most cases by people at hearings for revocation that dont have a lawyer. This thing is AWESOME! I need to start a company like this and get the only government contract. I mean seriously... How can these people get away with this. Its FRAUD. These people at SCRAM deserve a life sentence on their device and anytime it throws a violation they should do 30 days in jail. No big deal right... the device is so accurate. WHAT A JOKE. Again, I do not condone DWI/DUI and I have definitely changed my ways a while back. I think the SCRAM could be useful to some offenders but seriously... I had a warrant for my arrest because I had to breath. There are other testing methods available more accurate and far less expensive, why is SCRAM getting so much attention? Does it also get advertised that the founder of the company is a recovering alcoholic himself? This was told to me by the district manager Samantha at SCRAM. Seems like this "recovering" alcoholic when from one addiction to another. Stealing peoples money, lives, freedom, family, jobs, careers, cars, ect. Something needs to be done. Something needs to get aired on the news. This company needs to be brought down and these people deserve to loose there jobs. I don't know how they personal sleep at night. I can't imagine there is enough sleeping pills in the world. Either that or you must be one cruel evil selfish SOB. But I can tell you this. My 90 days is up tomorrow and this SCRAM SCAM is GONE for me! I would love to be involved in any SCRAM lawsuit that comes up.

I am a previous Cisco IT tech and SEO web designer. I am very close to launching a second career gathering knowledge bringing AMS SCRAM down. I am currently in the process of liquidating any personal assets I have to raise money for a civil suit.

jon@hyperformanceparts. 512.406.1007.

J. Mueller - October 12, 2010 3:55 AM

I was placed on SCRAM at 6,1 205 lbs. The device was so uncomfortable and caused so many issues on my leg it was switched to the other side within 3 weeks. This was due to pain, irritation (not able to use creme or lotion) and other things. Maggie Lucas placed the device so tight on my other leg that I knew I would have the same problems again. I was told discomfort was normal. My only solution has been to go on an extreme diet and loose weight. As of today, I weight 175lbs a loss of almost 30 pounds and I can actually twist the anklet around my ankle now. This seems extreme but honestly I could think of nothing else to do. The courts don't care about excuses so I wasn't able to give them one. SCAM has changed my life forever. I can tell you though, after loosing the weight I often forget I even have the anklet on as far as pain goes.

MTK - October 20, 2010 8:10 PM

I am 5 weeks away from being finished from a 6 month SCRAM wearing fiasco. Is it a coincidence that I have had to have my bracelet changed 4 times in 2 weeks? Today's incident came from the bracelet going off, no kidding, every 5 SECONDS!! One rep from Alcohol Monitors said it was a low battery, another said it was because I used a "prohibited product". That would I guess be deodorant! Did I mention it had just been replaced a day and a half ago from a low battery as well?? Am I going to all of a sudden end up with a violation and have to wear and or PAY for this longer than I was sentenced for? And what about the days that the battery died over the weekend and I was not being monitored? Do I get a refund for those days? Another big question that I have not seen addressed here is the entire "chain of custody" of this bracelet replacement. I get a new bracelet with a new number...I never verify the replaced number. I never see the computer screen to ensure it has been switched over. What about the sanitation of these things? It is pulled out of a drawer and placed on my leg, not taken out of a plastic bag. Then I am told it "will be sent to Denver for analysis". Really? When it is taken off my leg, it's thrown into a corner. I asked to see the process of "sending it to Denver". The guy actually asked me WHY I was asking all of these questions! I replied, "Why do you think I'm asking?" He then told me the device is put into a garbage bag, tagged with a sticker and stapled two times to close it. But how am I to know this is even MY device? I didn't sign any sort of paperwork to ensure the device being sealed and sent over is mine. Where is the accountability of this company? Who checks on the accuracy of these devices?
I'll happily join any lawsuit brought against this company.

deborah shupp - October 27, 2010 12:58 PM

I was just placed on scram 2 days ago. I am petrified of a false positive. Does anybody know if lotions are ok to use if alcohol is not an ingredient? my skin beneath the bracelet is horrible since i have this on. Or, will a scented lotion ex. {burts bees) containing NO ALCOHOL trigger it?

b - October 31, 2010 10:33 PM

Just dont drink lol everyone on here is lying, if you just dont drink and avoid mouth wash or poducts containing alchy you will be fine

4 years SOBER - December 5, 2010 12:27 PM

Obviously "b", you must work for the SCRAM people. If it is proven that SCRAM is ineffective,the whole house-of-cards comes crashing down for you folks. I for one have been RAPED by the legal system in Denton County Texas because of SCRAM and if it's the last thing I do, I will get even. I dont give a dam about exposing your seedy company or doing good for the country, I WANT MY MONEY BACK.$360/MONTH X 2 YEARS PLUS $5000 FOR THE EXTRA BOND MONEY MY FAMILY HAD TO COUGH UP BECAUSE OF A FALSE POSITIVE. AND I WILL GET IT IF IT'S THE LAST THING I DO.

4 years SOBER - December 5, 2010 12:40 PM

And another thing, go back and tell your handlers they are wasting their money paying trolls like you to go on sites like this and try to sway people into believing their claims. This SCRAM machine will go the way of polygraphs eventually, but in the mean time people's lives are being ruined everyday. They had better start saving their billions now for the lawsuits. When the dam breaks it will be HUGE.

MTK - December 23, 2010 10:29 PM

To 4 years SOBER....I would be happy to help with that at any point. I cannot begin to tell you the crap that I went through with this thing....I finally got mine off. I want my money back as well. ..... I don't think they were able to manage the readings at all... Please post here if you want any help from me!

b mass - February 3, 2011 2:19 PM

140 days in roughly, got a call that I was drinking. AMS got back to the jail and yep, they said I was drinking. I am trying to get a polygraph done for $325 to prove I have been sober. What is so amazing is that this bracelet obviously does not work. Anyone know of a lawsuit against AMS? I know for sure the polygraph will clear me but at this point I am waiting to hear from the states attorney office, I have asked if my polygraph results can be judge, jury and executioner since I am positive I am going to pass. This company is bullshit, 100% bullshit, I am sober, have been sober and am just shocked that I am being told I had alcohol. This SCRAM is bullshit.

brian massey - February 15, 2011 3:21 PM

Please go to facebook.com and search for scram lawsuit add your comments and read our notes. I am looking at going to prison for not drinking, pretty amazing. Our 6th amendment rights are being smashed and its time that AMS is stopped. I was not drinking, hadnt been drinking, I a being accused and yet I was at work with employees to verify, can pass a polygraph which I am in the process of doing now. If you or someone you know has been accused or is in jail NOW due to this faulty piece of electronics please contact us, united we stand, divided we fall.

brian massey - February 15, 2011 3:23 PM

SCRAM for 2 long... - February 21, 2011 1:23 PM

I have 2 DUI's out of Johnson County which is near Fort Worth, TX. They sentenced me to 10 YEARS on this SCRAM moniter. I will have had it on for a year this coming March and I finally broke down and hired a lawyer!!!! I have switched ankles several times and changed batteries at least once every 2 months. I havent had any false positive readings and hope that I dont before my lawyer can get this off. I did have to pay $400.00 for a damaged bracelet that they said I submerged under water and I pay $360.00 a month. Thats ridiculous money!!!! I am convinced that there will be permanent marks on my ankles because of this and it hurts no matter how I turn it. This SCRAM is a joke!!! I am not going to wear this thing for 10 YEARS, that is crazy!!!! Good Luck to everyone....oh and Rob piss off Im sure at some point in your life you werent always perfect.

patricia - March 31, 2011 2:58 PM

My grandaughter was sentenced to seven days in jail for tampering with her scram. She had been wearing it for two months. The time she was supposedly tampering was between 10pm and 2am at which time she was in bed sleeping. I don't know how one can protect themselves when these devises mess up. They do mess up too much to be considered in the justice system. I believe lie detector tests are more accurate and they are not permitted in court. If these things were infalible it would be fine but thet are not accurate sometimes and they cause hardships to those trying to get their lives back. Where is our great ACLU on this issue? Maybe they get big bucks not to interfere. Just can't trust anything these days.

patricia - March 31, 2011 3:00 PM

Sue - April 4, 2011 9:13 PM

My boyfriend is on SCRAM, he was sentenced to 90 days. Ok fine, no problem besides it being against Americans constitutional rights, which you have to sign a paper giving up your constitutional rights and that it's not without flaws. Now the judge has decided to order "Verbally" to have me have an interlock installed on MY vehicle, and I quote " Just in case you decide to get 3 sheets to the wind and go for a drive and kill someone". Can he just do this? Based on an assumtion? We have also both signed sworn statements too, him giving up his driving privelages and me not to allow him to drive MY vehicle. HELP

J - April 19, 2011 8:54 PM

10 years on Scram for 2 DUIs not only is that bullshit, meaning not believable but I have been on SCRAM for 2 weeks and no problem. I hate police and the justice system more than anything but as long as you avoid mouth wash aftershave and cologne you will be fine

US killing more worldwide than Drunks - April 24, 2011 11:49 AM

The SCRAM is training me to be a suicide bombner. The US court system has said fuck the constitution, so I say fuck the USA!

US killing more worldwide than Drunks - April 24, 2011 11:50 AM

The SCRAM is training me to be a suicide bomber. The US court system has said fuck the constitution, so I say fuck the USA!

Lori - June 16, 2011 2:01 PM

I to am on scram and was informed that I was drinking on a Sun eveninf for an hour, which in truth that hour I was in bed and do have witnesses.
The place that set up my scram basically called me a liar, when I told him that I would like to take a polygraph he informed me that the scram is like a polygraph it doesn't lie, luckily enough my occurence came to be told to me before the 72 hour UA could not be done, I have had one of those done waiting on the outcome now, which I know will be in my favor. This thing is a joke

joe kent - September 2, 2011 10:53 PM

Shit i just had one put on on my damn bday. But some of these blogs are very scary. San diego, ca.Goodluck with sobriety to everyone!

dixiechick - September 6, 2011 8:28 AM

Someone in my family was ordered to wear the SCRAM.He's a first time offender, and hasn't been convicted or placed on probation yet. He's had two other breathalizer devices on the vehicle, and when he didn't get a violation report, the Judge ordered "therapy"...when the evaluation indicated there is no problem, couldn't handle being wrong apparently, so ordered the SCRAM. SCRAM was intended for repeat offenders, or known alcoholics. When a person is not an alcoholic, and is a first time offender, and the alcohol was a rare, social occassion, there is no justice. I'd be willing to bet the majority of those in the legal system have partaken socially on occassion. The SCRAM folks also do not list non-alcohol products to use online, nor can you find much info on it. All this being said, and if the cost of the device is half your income then how are you supposed to exist? Also, if you don't have a landline phone to download this data to, can you use a digital comcast phone? All Judges, court probation officers, court clerks, bailiffs, law enforcement, and DWI attorneys should be required to go through the SCRAM program, and wear the device for two months in order they have a complete understanding of the product they endorse as the "deterrent".

dixiechick - September 6, 2011 8:29 AM

Brad - January 7, 2012 10:03 AM

Seriously!!!! I have almost been 90 days without a drink, then two weeks before they take my braclet off I go in to get my readings they tell me Christmas night at 1030 there was a spike on my SCRAM I was asleep with my girlfriend. I would not have wore it all this time to drink now. This is crfazy now even after jumping through all these hoops & paying alot of hard earned cash. SCRAM is saying I had a drink and I did not Im looking at jail time & possibly another 90 days with braclet. I have served my time & they are saying I had to consume this alcohol I DID NOT! How do I prove my innocence?

Brad - January 7, 2012 10:04 AM

Seriously!!!! I have almost been 90 days without a drink, then two weeks before they take my braclet off I go in to get my readings they tell me Christmas night at 1030 there was a spike on my SCRAM I was asleep with my girlfriend. I would not have wore it all this time to drink now. This is crazy now even after jumping through all these hoops & paying alot of hard earned cash. SCRAM is saying I had a drink and I did not Im looking at jail time & possibly another 90 days with braclet. I have served my time & they are saying I had to consume this alcohol I DID NOT! How do I prove my innocence?

GSZ - March 28, 2012 2:10 PM

I have evidence that the scarm does not properly test for alcohol consumption. They are going agiast basic biological processes to prove their "confirmed Consumptions" even though I have breathalyzer results saying 0.00

rosie - May 29, 2012 8:42 PM

i have worn this device for one year more or so. i have not had a problem with false readings. do what you have to do and get it done. dont try and cheat the system because there is not cheating. i hate this thing so dont think im pro scram. i am just pro doing what you have to do get over this hill we have to climb so we can move on.

Unknown - June 17, 2012 12:55 PM

I was ordered to wear one of these after getting my second MIC (I don't even have a DUI). After wearing it for two months I called up my Marshal at the court house and asked if I could travel with it on. He told me to that it was fine I just had to go down to the court house and clear it with him. To my surprise when I went to visit him, he said he put a warrant out for my arrest two weeks prior because my SCRAM went off. I didn;t recieve a call or anything from anyone to inform me,so by the time I was arrested it was way too late to take a breathalyzer or blood test to prove my innocence. I was in jail for a month and when they showed me the scram report it said I had exactly .004 percent alcohol in my system for a couple hours strait(no higher or lower). It's been two months since jail and the judge is still making me wear this thing even though he KNOWS the scram malfunctioned. These things are a bunch of BS I would love to know if this is a possible lawsuit.

msc - July 15, 2012 1:32 PM

I just recieved my device 3 days ago.I'llprobably be going back to jail as I can't afford it .Told my probation officer I could'nt befor I did my jail time.I don't want to lose my apt I need a p;ace to live,does anyone know any sponcership from any one to wear this? I watched people leave jail being teathered everyday with no cost to them. I was told they had sponsers,Does anyone know of this? I know I did wrong but I can't see being homeless over this. I wont be drinking any time soon I've learned my lesson.But I don't think anyone should live on the streets,because of this.I would be intrested in a lawsuit against untested equipment.Maybe we are all the lab rats so to speak.

AngrylyAccused - March 16, 2014 9:30 AM

I believe the SCRAM is actually a SCAM for the company to make money. I asked the Installer how the SCRAM was able to detect if someone has been drinking alcohol, they said they did not know.. First of all, if he Police says the only way to accurately detect alcohol is through blood, urine and breath, then explain to me how the SCRAM can detect from sweat; especially if you do not sweat. And it is scientifically know that men and women sweat differently. Also, if you take a shower and do not put any lotions on your skin, you have very dry and cracking skin, so where does the sweat come from? My guess is that somebody is reaping benefits for imposing the Scram Order, especially in no one in the judicial or pretrial unit don't know how it operates. But, it could possible be that it has a mini camera in it. ummmm...then that is an invasion of privacy.